Last night, I unpacked my suitcases and decided to take a walk around my new neighborhood. After making a quick stop at a nearby corner store, I headed down to the Plaza de Bolívar where the Colombian Congress and Presidential Palace are located. I had heard that Gustavo Moncayo (see previous post) had finally arrived to the plaza earlier in the day and that he was planning on "camping out" there until the government agreed to negotiate the release of his son held captive by the FARC.
Click here for more coverage from El Tiempo (click on the photo -- links include video, audio, audiovisual gallery, and a map of Moncayo's cross-country trek).
In the Plaza de Bolívar I met several interesting people. I had the opportunity to talk with a bright young man named Juan Carlos who had joined Gustavo Moncayo's "walk for peace" in honor of his sister, Mary Luz Lopez, who was "disappeared" in 2002. He told me about how she had traveled to Barranquilla in northern Colombia and there she was abducted by several unknown individuals. We discussed the "walk for peace" and how it gave renewed hope to millions of Colombians for an end to the conflict. We exchanged thoughts on the current peace process and how the "walk for peace" might potentially contribute to achieving a negotiated humanitarian exchange and the release of hostages.
As we ended our conversation, Juan Carlos gave me his phone number and encouraged me to speak with his mother if I was interested in learning more about abductions and the struggles of Colombians affected by the 40-year old conflict.
Photo from "Camino de la Paz"
Thursday, August 2
Gustavo Moncayo arrives to Bogota
Posted by
AV
at
1:47 PM
Labels: FARC, Humanitarian accord, Negotiations
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment