Greetings from the Casona del Patio
My trip went well and I had no significant problems getting through customs, receiving my luggage, or finding a ride to the hotel. The issue of my tourist visa did resurface though while having the customs official stamp my passport. The length of my stay did seem to raise some red flags but the issue was fairly quickly resolved when I explained that I would have a work visa within a matter of days.
During my taxi ride from the airport to the hotel, I had a very pleasant conversation with my driver. We had a lively discussion on Colombian politics, corruption, taxes, family values, and the challenges of married life. He especially lamented the fact that Colombians pay such high taxes and yet receive so little in return in terms of public services. He complained about political corruption and how it has left the country with a legacy of dilapidated schools, roads, and hospitals. However, it did seem to cheer him up a little to learn that, while perhaps not to the same degree, similar problems exist even in the
Today I woke up early and had breakfast in the hotel. For those of you that have expressed interest in hearing about the more mundane details of my life in
No comments:
Post a Comment