Tuesday, May 22

A day of hiking in Bogotá

On Monday I learned that it was a religious holiday (the Day of Ascension) and that most offices and businesses would be closed. I then decided to enjoy the holiday in the same way that many locals do – by hiking up the Cerro de Monserrate. The Cerro (Mountain) de Monserrate is one of the highest peaks in the mountain range flanking Bogotá to the east. From downtown, it is easily recognizable by the massive white church crowning its top. On Monday morning, I joined the thousands of people who had flocked to the mountain to hike up its steep stone path and I was especially amazed by the masses of children that easily scampered up the rugged mountain path. By foot, the exhausting 1.5 mile hike up to Monserrate takes about an hour, but the less adventurous can get to the top in a matter of minutes by taking a fast-moving cable car (teleférico) or funicular railway. For the hikers, the path is lined with numerous venders and stalls selling a variety of goods including cold drinks, sandwiches, cookies, ice cream, jello, and fruit. I found two salesmen to be especially intriguing and unusual. One was selling cell phone minutes whereby you could pay to make a phone call from the side of the mountain. And the other was an elderly man selling chocolate-covered ants. He walked up and down the path and would yell out, “Ants! Ants! Get your delicious ants!” As he went by, I would hear people whispering, “Did he say ants? Oh my goodness! He is selling ants!”

Once at the top of the mountain, the view of Bogotá from Monserrate was absolutely breathtaking. Click on "My Latest Photos" to view pictures that I took during my hike up the Cerro de Monserrate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Abro,

Good to see your blog. It's really nice. Katie, Tasha and Kara are checking out your blog with me right now. We are wondering if you have found a seniorita???

Check my blog,

Freddy